Communications Project Management (2014 - present)
- Established the roles and processes of the new 'Communications Coordinator' position including defining the audience, customer knowledge funnel, tone and messaging for each target industry at each stage of customer engagement, as well as standard operating procedures to follow once the activities launched. Defined project milestones, task dependencies, needed resources and cost estimates, task assignments and timing.
- Acted as the principal decision maker for all outbound and public facing communications to attract and retain customers including maintaining corporate websites, press releases and inserting ourselves into trending news whenever possible.
- Scheduling social media activities and email campaigns, personalized direct mail, and distribution of all forms of content marketing through different channels. Tracking the success of each activity and adjusting the strategy as needed to maximize results. Supporting sales activities with scheduled promotions, offers, free trials etc and pushing the content through social networks.
- Ensuring the company's online reputation is secure, complete, and consistent by design.
- Arranging interviews with top customers to create case studies for different industries, plan presentations of webinars and lunch and learn sessions, and defining how and what to discuss at trade shows.
Creative & Multimedia (2013 - present)
- Word crafting marketing and educational materials and controlling the tone and technical level as appropriate for each type of communication or document. Breaking down complex and intangible product information into digestible pieces using approachable language and empathy, with a gradual funnel towards technical documentation.
- Created and maintained the company's content marketing blog. Refreshed and maintained corporate websites with new resources, improved navigation, and adjusted the presentation in time with promotions, holidays, and changes in company activity.
- Graphic design using Adobe Creative Cloud to produce many types templates for case studies, sell sheets, customer education, reference materials etc.
- Created screencast and other videos to train customers on custom software and demonstrate use cases in different industries.
- Created any type of ad hoc illustration, copy writing, video, template, presentation, printed matter etc on request.
Policy Recommendations (2009 - present)
- Thoroughly reviewed legal documents, employment contracts, end user license agreements for data sales, service contracts for SaaS subscriptions, and general company policies for completeness and to find potential loopholes and difficult wording that could be misinterpreted.
- Wrote the company's social media policies to ensure the audiences engage with the sites and postings in a manner that reflects well on the company. Ensured compliance with CASL legislation for all outgoing emails and communications.
- Established proper interpersonal conduct and communication protocols for office work to set clear expectations and manage unpredictable behaviour of problem employees.
Software Testing (2005 - present)
- Completed systematic checks of custom software to find bugs, or to assess a software's suitability for a particular purpose prior to purchase.
- Negotiated with the software provider to make custom changes to software functions prior to purchase.
- Documented deficiencies found with screen captures, OS, browser, test environment details, and other information to reproduce the error.
Analytics & Optimization (2012 - present)
- Collected sales metrics, web traffic, and solicited user experience feedback from customers to analyze the metrics for success to provide quick overviews to management about our position on short notice. Adjusted the approach based on direction from upper management's feedback.
- Used the information I collected to make fact based decisions to adjust the direction of a project on the fly to ensure resources are not wasted on fruitless activities.
- Used web analytics to break down customer types, interest level and interactions with various media, and keep an inventory of search terms to use in AdWords marketing.
- Routinely reviewed social media statistics to identify success of various content marketing pieces on different platforms to better engage key audiences.
Customer Service (2012 - present)
- Managed interpersonal relationships within and between my department, the company, outside vendors, partners and customers with the goal of negotiating good outcomes for all. Reaching out to new users who create an online profile and don't immediately purchase to keep their interest and encourage buying behaviour.
- Implemented new customer response protocols, building an FAQ knowledge base of common questions and answers, and using canned and automated messages to follow up on quotes and streamline administrative tasks.
- Answered questions related to all aspects of the company's products such orthophoto, satellite imagery, elevation models, parcel fabric etc, and supported customers using any type of GIS or CAD software.
- Prepared quotes, fulfilled orders, and invoiced for data products and related professional services directly to end customers and in support of sales reps. including Digital Globe satellite imagery, orthophoto processing (mosaicking, reprojecting, format conversions in a Linux environment), custom selection and format conversions of parcel data, elevation data and other vector products, and custom print layouts.
- Completed print ready mapping on behalf of J.D. Barnes to coordinate with multiple agencies across Canada on the development of the Energy East Pipeline.
- Weekly and monthly accounting and credit card reports for sales and royalties owed pursuant to reseller agreements.
- Tracked and quantified the value of time and product freebies spent on resolving customer complaints to measure improvements in the quality and efficiency of service.
- Gathered market intelligence through interaction with customers to keep on top of trends in various industries that use geo data, and to propose forming relationships with new data providers or creating value added derivative data products that current customers are searching for.
Property Dimension Reporting (2013 - present)
- Learned to read and interpret engineering plans to complete property information research for new subdivisions prior to build on behalf of JD Barnes surveyors across Ontario.
- Worked autonomously, contacting surveyors and municipal governments to obtain copies of M plans, frontage/area tables, zoning bylaws, and utility servicing information.
- Tracked each M plan's progress through phases of approval and completion, then invoiced for my work.
- Documented standard procedures for lot and block measurements for all possible scenarios.
Metadata, Procedures & Standards Documentation (2002 - present)
- Town of New Tecumseth – Documented all existing spatial assets and wrote a manual of how to use the relevant functions for the GIS software in use, as well as how to maintain custom Access forms I created to replace carbon copy forms. Maintained a data and metadata sharing connection with LINC (land information network co-operative).
- MapMobility - Wrote comprehensive manuals describing all aspects of each project as a guide to clarify procedures in a multi-user environment, including diagrams and charts, screen caps, explanations of parameters and unique coding for each layer used, custom software, quality control procedures, order tasks should be done in, troubleshooting etc. Defined the project’s scope and expectations to apply for grant funding as scientific research.
- Canadian Cartographics – Rewrote the company’s existing layout procedure and graphic standards manuals to be more complete and consistent from product to product, oversaw the enforcement of the new rules.
- First Base Solutions – Established the company's communications strategy, including high level goals for defining customer types, content types, tones and voice, funneling customers through technical education and the sales process and increasing customer engagement. Ensuring marketing materials are produced and distributed in the manner I defined. Documented customer service protocols to ensure consistent service delivery, turnaround times, discounting structures, etc.
Layout Redesigns (2009 - 2012)
- Adjusted the page layouts of the company’s entire catalogue of folded street maps, moving the product covers and changing the folding style to improve the product durability and retail display without sacrificing content.
- Updated the colours, fonts, and other styles of existing products to conform to the company’s new graphic standards since rebranding in 2008.
- Designed content and layouts for several new best-selling map book products.
- Created customized layouts using clients’ location spottings and other custom information overlaid on existing maps.
Text, Data and Graphic Quality Control Measures (2005 - 2012)
- Established an extensive set of conditions to compare features within and between each feature class to determine if buffering, labels, topology and other attributes are correct. (For example, a feature from class BUILDING must not intersect a feature from class WATER unless BUILDING TYPE = LIGHTHOUSE.)
- Worked together with a developer to incorporate these conditions into scripts and user-assist tools to automatically fix as many problems as possible, then mark complex problems for manual editing.
- Established a new set of procedures to verify which street names from a database belong in each product’s index and remove duplicates and other anomalies.
- Created a point-by-point checklist of all graphic styles to confirm style consistency on every product.
Symbol, Style and Annotation Development (2006 - 2008)
- Successfully reproduced the style of the company’s vector graphic maps using GIS to add interactivity to the product.
- Created a decision-making system to automate the text placement on maps to resemble the look of manual cartography based on font class, the size and shape of the feature being labeled, and how to resolve conflicts where two or more labels compete for the same footprint on the map.
- Created custom fonts to be used as marker symbols for point features in ArcView.
- Categorized every possible topological situation for all features that occur on the company’s vector graphic maps, then developed GIS symbol palettes to reproduce their signature cartographic look, once the graphics have been imported, cleaned and geo-referenced.
- Developed attribute codes for road segments to define colour, width, joining styles, flow direction, display scale, and vertical drawing order for complex highway interchanges with more than 400 layers.
GIS Asset Inventory and Needs Assessment Report (2002-2003)
- Converted CADmap drawings to GIS, linking Public Works assets such as fire hydrants and catch basins to their service records and other info.
- Performed manual data entry into GIS of incidents such as traffic accidents and public works service calls to locate clusters.
- Created a database of current and obsolete GIS, PDF and CAD maps, searchable by what types of features the user requires in a chosen area.
- Interviewed staff regarding how they use maps to complete their daily tasks, made recommendations for staffing, software licensing needs, the role of consultants, public accessibility etc, most of which have now been implemented.
- Defined a system for the sharing of GIS data between Planning, Engineering and Public Works.
Official Plan Amendments (2003)
- Worked closely with the Planning department on planning and zoning maps to convert the existing schedules and attachments to GIS, then made changes as per the Planners’ requirements.
- Maintained an archive of proposed plans and applications for adjustment and minor variance.
- Created a series of high quality maps of the area affected by the Oak Ridges Moraine Act adopted by the province in 2003.
- Created a searchable image archive of all building department property records based on roll numbers to eliminate the need to store the paper files on site.
- Used high speed and large format scanners to digitize the contents of each file folder, including letters and large plan and profile drawings.
- Examined each paper document for staples, tape and crinkled edges and purged the folders of unnecessary materials.
- Performed quality control tasks to ensure digital documents are legible, right side up and searchable with optical character recognition software.
- Supervised three summer students who routinely exceeded our goals.
MapInfo Corporate Training Course Material (2003)
- Rewrote the MapInfo training course book using Canadian examples for a 5-day course aimed at executives.
- Prepared sample data for students to try exercises from the course book.
- Did a dry run through the course to improve the student experience by anticipating questions and preparing answers and examples.
GéoGratis Metadata (2002)
- Recorded keywords and documented any modifications done to the imagery.
- Evaluated satellite imagery from international sources, performed enhancements and made recommendations for updating the content available for download.
- Researched and wrote metadata for CADRG (Compressed Arc Digitized Raster Graphics) and ArcGIS products for the GéoGratis website.
Thesis Project (2002 - 2003)
- Determined the areas of southwest British Columbia most susceptible to small earthquakes and areas most at risk of major earthquakes.
- Used correlation and regression analysis to
- identify the potential hazard posed by a variety of soil and bedrock characteristics based on records of known earthquakes.
- Made recommendations for building codes and emergency early warning systems where settlement has occurred in the high risk areas.